Monday 4 June 2018

How do I know if I'm in labour ?

Crazy question you may be thinking, but its the first question I asked my midwife at my 38 week appointment today...but every women's experience in the latent phase (early labour) can differ greatly, so its hard to tell someone exactly what to expect. Some women only realise they're in labour after this early stage, however changes that take place in pre-labour and early labour may cause tell-tale signs and symptoms that labour is imminent.



  • Persistent lower back pains
  • Pre-menstrual cramps
  • Painful contractions and tightenings that vary in strength and frequency for an hour
  • Broken waters
  • "The Show" - a brownish or blood-tinged mucus discharge (bloody show). If you pass the mucus plug that blocks the cervix, labour could start soon, or in a few days. It's a sign that things are moving along.
  • Upset tummy / loose bowels 
  • Disrupted sleep
This early stage of labour can be long (very long) for first time mums, and the main advice I've been given by my midwife and antenatal class is SLEEP and/or rest. Now this sounds near impossible but I'm definitely going to try lol. I've actually brought a TENS machine to use during this latent phase as apparently it can really help with those first contractions. I just got it the one from boots, and it was £39.99, its not a fancy one at all but I figure they all do the same thing ! During this stage they encourage you to stay at home, its not until your contractions are 1 minute long with 2 minute gaps that they suggest you call and go in. 




Good LUCK ladies <3
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig