Monday 28 May 2018

Birth centre or Home birth

Ok, so over the last few weeks I've been having a slight dilemma. Where to give birth...


So I thought I had my mind made up months ago with the birth centre, however after my antennal class and after researching and practicing hypnobirthing, I started reconsidering home birth . There a quite a few pros and cons for each situation. The main reason I want to give birth at home is to not leave my 'safe space'. To make labour progress, the body needs to release oxytocin, this will only happen efficiently if you are feeling safe and calm. Where else better than the comfort of your own home... I also love the idea of being able to set up my music, candles and diffuser and then not have to move or go anywhere and having all my home comforts around.

However, this is my first pregnancy, and I no matter how much I prepare I will never know how I'm going to react to labour and this in itself is driving me towards a birth centre birth. I'm lucky enough to have a really nice newly refurbished birth centre literally across the road and with the right music and people it would feel like a home from home. As well as this, my sister made a really good point...birth and the first 24 hours after birth is messy, so to avoid the clean up better to go to the birth centre lol.

I went for an introduction to the birth centre on Saturday with my husband, and the lovely midwife team I met sealed the deal. They all seemed so positive and passionate about birth, and a few have even trained in hypnobirthing, which is a huge plus. The birthing rooms were spacious, clean and calming, as were the postnatal rooms where you stay for the following 24 hours. So for this first pregnancy I will be going to the birth centre, however, next time I will definitely consider a home birth as theres just something very appealing about it :)



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig