Wednesday 5 September 2018

#mumlife

Recently a girl reached out and said she’d love to read a post about day to day life while juggling a baby, husband, dog and social life. Well here it is ...



So before Tayo came everything in my life , naturally because of my career , was so last minute and unplanned. With modelling, you find out your schedule at 6 PM every evening so that makes it very hard to plan anything. With the arrival of Tayo I suddenly realised ,like a punch in the face, that I’m going to need to introduce some kind of schedule into our family life. Honestly , this is the part of motherhood I’m finding the hardest lol.

For the first 3/4 weeks I was just running around like a headless chicken, trying to keep myself sane. Anyone who has had a baby will understand what I mean. There feels like there’s no hours in the day and quite frankly even finding the time/energy to eat is near enough impossible lol. Not to mention the raging hormones that can make you laugh and then hysterically cry within seconds. But thank the lord , one day I woke up and felt like I’d kind of figured it out and I could eventually get Tayo into some kind of routine so I found time to shower, put makeup on and get ready. Which by the way, however shallow it may sound, made me feel like myself. It’s very easy to feel a bit shitty when you can’t find time to shower & get dressed etc. Rule 1; when you look good, you feel good lol. An absolute essential to make this happen is my Joie 2 in 1 Serina Swing and my Babymoov 0 Emissions Camera. The swing plugs into the wall, and has 6 swing speeds and 4 different lullaby options. He loves it. He can either swing side to side, or forward and back. So usually I will feed and burp him then put him in the swing put the camera on him and bingo, its shower time. It’s not advised to let babies sleep in these swings unsupervised however if he falls asleep in there and I need to leave the room I move him into his cot and put the monitor on him in there. But if I’m staying in the same room monitoring him I will let him sleep in there. What I love about the Babymoov camera is that you use you phone as the monitor and theres no distant limit. So I prop my phone up where I can see it, zoom in on Tayo and turn up the volume. Obviously if he starts crying mid-shower I have to get out, but I've managed to shower and wash my hair in 10 mins recently, this used to take me a good 20 mins, LOL what a luxury.



Not gonna lie it’s tough having a dog and a baby, especially when I’m on my own and my husbands working. Winston (our Frenchie) has only just got used to Tayo being around. He’s always been okay when Tayo is quiet but as soon as he cries or coos or makes any other noise winston either barks or cries as well, which can send a sleep deprived mum insane lol. I’m not sure he knew what to make of him , bless. Thank god for my Ergobaby carrier, it made the first few months possible! I kept Tayo in it while walking Winston and around the house so I didn’t have to put him down if he was particularly groggy. I’ve found since walking them together, in a “pack” Winston has slowly got used to Tayo and starting to realise he’s going nowhere & he’s part of the family. Not going to lie though it can be very tough & tiring but the cute moments on the sofa with both my boys make it all worth it. Our Quinny Flex Plus pram has been amazing because its SO lightweight. Its meant that I can venture out with the baby in the pram and I'm able to carry it up and down the three flights of stairs on my own. The chassis folds so flat that it actually fits in the electric cupboard downstairs (hope my landlord doesn't read this LOL), so it means I just have to carry Tayo down in the basinette which is only 3kg.





When it comes to my husband , poor guy. I’m sure he feels like he’s at the bottom of the attention tree and I’m sure a lot of men feel like this after a new baby arrives. However I have tried my best to let him know he’s appreciated and we’ve managed to still have date nights whether it’s a meal out, a little staycation at a hotel in London or simply just a cuddle on the sofa. I can’t explain how much strain a baby can have on any relationship so it’s super important to still have some romance and learn to ignore little rows in the first weeks when everyone is sleep deprived and stressed.



When it comes to my social life. Well. For the first few weeks I didn’t have one lol. At all. But after I got into the swing of things I finally got the confidence to head out on my own with Tayo and meet friends for brunch / coffee and it felt so good to get out the house and hang with my friends. I’ve also connected with other mums on the app peanut which has been amazing, so although my social life is still there it is still changing slightly. Change, although sometimes unwelcome is usually good!



Long story short things were tough in the beginning. However things slowly but surely fell into place in their own time
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig